Measures and Regulations against the Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2
By the beginning of March 2020 we were forced to impose some restrictions to slow down the spread of the coronavirus SARS-CoV-2. Now we are very pleased to announce that we gradually reduce these restrictions and resume user operation at our facilities. In the following you will find some useful information and guidelines that apply during the COVID-19 pandemic period.
HZB has resumed operation
- If necessary, operation might have to be interrupted even on short notice
- Beamtime that has to cancelled due to the pandemic is cancelled for good
- Re-scheduling or backlog is not possible
Due to the infection incidence in Berlin the following access rules apply:
(1) From calendar week 45 (2020) to 7 (2021) only in-house and CRG user groups from Berlin area were able to measure at BESSY II and HZB CoreLabs. For all other user groups, the measurement period was cancelled.
(2) From calender week 8 (2021) national research groups from Germany were allowed to perform experiments at BESSY II and HZB CoreLabs.
(3) All international experiments scheduled until calender week 24 (June 20, 2021) were canceled.
(4) From calender week 26 (June 28, 2021) external users from EU and EU associated countries are allowed to perform experiments at BESSY II and HZB CoreLabs. PLEASE NOTE: External users from high incidence and virus variant areas (according to RKI definition) are still excluded. Staff-assisted and mail-in experiments are possibe. Please contact your beamline scientist and find more detailed information on remote access here.
(5) All access rules follow the entry restrictions issued by the German Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Community (BMI). Please check with the BMI prior to your trip to find out which regulations apply.
(6) Starting with June 25, 2021 all external users (regional, national and international research groups) must present a daily negative rapid antigen test for SARS-CoV-2 with the result being not older than 24 hrs (24 hrs from the date of result, indicated on the test certificate) before starting work at HZB (incl. daily testing in case of a stay of several days at HZB). A PCR test before starting work at HZB is not required anymore. Please take this into consideration while preparing for your beamtime (Corona test facilities in Berlin).
(7) The test must be presented to the HZB User Office. If possible, please send it in advance to email@example.com. Otherwise, the test must be presented to the security personal at the entrance of BESSY II. If you arrive outside working hours or on the weekend, please present the test on the next working day until 12:00 CET. Please note that we reserve the right to revoke the access right if a negative test is not presented in time.
(8) The relevant date for the validity is the day of arrival at HZB as registered in GATE, which cannot be more than 1 day after the day of testing (sample taking).
(9) Fully vaccinated people do not need a negative test result. The complete vaccination (with a vaccine approved by the German Federal Government) must be proven before starting work at the HZB.
Safety & Access Rules
The following rules apply for access to all HZB campuses, the experimental hall of BESSY II, CoreLabs and in all HZB laboratories:
(1) Members of experimental teams should originate from the same institute/laboratory the best, the same country at least.
(2) Persons who work in the storage ring hall must check daily their body temperature at the BESSY gate before entering work and enter themselves in a contact list at the BESSY gate.
(3) A maximum of 5 persons is allowed at the beamline or at the experimental set up at any time.
(4) Wearing mouth and nose protection (medical or FFP2/KN95) is mandatory in the experimental hall, in all HZB laboratories and CoreLabs and on all HZB campuses.
(5) Guarantee the required minimum distance of 2 meters to other people at all times.
(6) If it is inevitable to work at shorter distance for a short time, use FFP2/KN95 masks, face shields and gloves.
(7) If there is no appropriate protection -> postpone the work.
(8) Disinfect tables, keyboards etc. regularly.
Operation and experiments at BESSY II strongly rely on your sense of responsibility.
Fast Track Access for SARS-CoV-2 Proposal
In light of the rapidly changing situation world-wide resulting from the SARS-CoV-2 virus BESSY II would like to ensure that it is doing everything possible to support researchers in their efforts to discover more about the virus and bring us closer to an effective vaccine or treatment. We are offering priority fast track access for groups who require instrument time for projects directly related to SARS-CoV-2. In order to submit a proposal for SARS-CoV-2 related research please contact us by email. More detailed information about our service at BESSY II can be found here.