Measures and Regulations against the Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2
Due to the pandemic situation the following rules apply.
Please take the time to read these rules carefully.
PLEASE NOTE: Rules can change on short notice in accordance to the current pandemic situation
NEW office hours - front desk
(1) The User Coordination Team including the front desk at Adlershof will not be available on site on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
(2) The front desk will be open on Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays from 09:00 to 15:00.
(3) Please register experimentalists and submit all necessary documents at least one week in advance.
(4) For arrivals on short notice or users with missing documents, access cannot be guaranteed.
(5) Access cards can be fetched at the porters while the front desk is closed.
General entry requirements
(1) All users coming from outside Germany must check the current entry regulations on
(2) If you spent time in a high-risk area, it is required to complete the digital registration on entry and send a copy of your entry form to firstname.lastname@example.org in advance.
(3) Users from areas of variants of concern (according to RKI definition) are not allowed to perform on-site experiments at HZB.
(4) Experiment time at HZB does not constitute an urgent need for travel.
(5) Please find more detailed information for travellers here.
Vaccination Regulations ("2G")
(1) Starting October 11th only vaccinated or recovered persons are admitted (2G rule - geimpft, genesen).
(2) Only those persons who have been vaccinated with a vaccine listed on the website of the Paul Ehrlich Institute, which guarantees the requirements of complete vaccination protection, will be recognized as vaccinated persons.
(3) In order to prepare access card and dosimeter your vaccination certificate or recovery information (validity 3 month) must be send to email@example.com in advance. If this information is missing, access will only be granted after the status was verified by the User Office on-site (on-site verification is limited to office hours: Monday/Thursday/Friday 09:00 - 15:00, office is closed on Tuesday and Wednesday)
(4) If you plan to arrive after office hours or on the weekend, we strongly advice to send the vaccination information in advance.
(1) All external users must provide a negative PoC (point-of-care) antigen test for SARS-CoV-2 at arrival to HZB. The test must be from the same day not be older than 24 h and can be send to firstname.lastname@example.org in advance (PLEASE NOTE: this email must clearly indicate which user and which proposal number it refers to).
(2) In case of stays longer than one day, external users must present a negative PoC test on a daily basis.
(3) Registered experimentalists are allowed to use the HZB Corona test center. The test center is located at Magnusstraße 2, HZB building 13.10. Opening hours are Monday to Friday 08:00 to 12:00 (noon). Testing is free of charge.
Testing obligations are also valid for vaccinated people or convalescents
Booster vaccination does not replace the obligation to test
(1) If a quarantine is requested by the entry regulations, we have to ask you to organize this by yourself. The guesthouse(s) of HZB cannot be used for any kind of quarantine.
(2) Expenses for quarantine are not reimbursed by HZB.
(3) The decision on the length of quarantine is in the responsibility of the local health department.
- If necessary, operation might have to be interrupted even on short notice
- Beamtime that has to cancelled due to the pandemic is cancelled for good
- Re-scheduling or backlog is not possible
Safety & Access Rules
The following rules apply for access to all HZB campuses, the experimental hall of BESSY II, CoreLabs and in all HZB laboratories:
(1) Members of experimental teams should originate from the same institute/laboratory the best, the same country at least.
(2) Persons who work in the storage ring hall must check daily their body temperature at the BESSY gate before entering work and enter themselves in a contact list at the BESSY gate.
(3) A maximum of 2 users + 1 instrument scientist is allowed at the beamline or at the experimental set up at any time.
(4) Wearing FFP2/KN95 mouth and nose protection is mandatory in the experimental hall, in all HZB laboratories and CoreLabs and on all HZB campuses.
(5) Guarantee the required minimum distance of 2 meters to other people at all times.
(6) If it is inevitable to work at shorter distance for a short time, use FFP2/KN95 masks, face shields and gloves.
(7) If there is no appropriate protection -> postpone the work.
(8) Disinfect tables, keyboards etc. regularly.
Operation and experiments at BESSY II strongly rely on your sense of responsibility.
Due to corona risks HZB encourages all users to reduce the amount of staff in your experimental team on-site, if possible down to zero. Therefore at an increasing number of beamlines and experimental stations, we offer mail-in services and remote access. Please find the list of possible instruments here. In any case, please, discuss the options and feasibility with our instrument scientists first.
More detailed information on the technical requirements can be found here.
Fast Track Access for SARS-CoV-2 Proposal
In light of the rapidly changing situation world-wide resulting from the SARS-CoV-2 virus BESSY II would like to ensure that it is doing everything possible to support researchers in their efforts to discover more about the virus and bring us closer to an effective vaccine or treatment. We are offering priority fast track access for groups who require instrument time for projects directly related to SARS-CoV-2. In order to submit a proposal for SARS-CoV-2 related research please contact us by email. More detailed information about our service at BESSY II can be found here.