Characterization of solar cells and modules by solar simulator and flasher
The accurate electric analysis of solar cells and modules is one of the key issues in order to develop high efficiency solar cells. Therefore, PVcomB is using a "Super Solar Simulator" of Wacom equipped with a xenon and a halogen lamp. With this dual source concept the spectrum of the simulator is very close to the solar spectrum. Solar cells and modules up to an area of 15 x 15 cm² can be measured with this.
Similar to other process steps and measurement setups at PVcomB, both steady-state solar simulator and flasher are directly connected to the electronic lab book system. Therefore, solar cell parameters like efficiency, open-circuit voltage, short-circuit density and others are automatically combined with the corresponding processes of sample preparation and analysis.
Properties of the steady-state solar simulator
- max. illumination area: 155 x 155 mm²
- homogeneity of illumination area: ±2% measured by diode array, 15 mm pattern, class A / IEC60904-9 Ed.2
- spectral match: class A+, super high quality, ±10% (class A requires ±25%)
- stability in time: ±1%/hour
- measurements in substrate- and superstrate configuration possible
- temperature depended IV-measurements (15 to 200°C)
- automatic measurements of cells and mini modules via MultiSwitch system
- measurement of IV curve by 4-point-probe system (Keithley SMU max. 3 A und and 105 V)
Technical properties of the Flasher
- dimensions of chamber: 820 x 1050 x 700 mm³ (Lx W x H)
- length of wires: 4 m each for contacting of cells and modles
- innovative Dual Source concept (developed in cooperation with h.a.l.m.)
- area of illumination: 300 x 300 mm²
- homogeneity of illumination: ±2% measured by test probe 10 x 10 mm², raster of 30 mm, class A / IEC60904-9 Ed.2
- duration of flash: 5 – 59 ms (adjustable)
- stability over one flash: ±0,5% (class A limit: ±1) IEC60904-9 Ed. 2
- repeatability: ±0,5%
- flash repetition rate: app. 6 s @ 59 ms plateau (1-ary)
- lifetime of flash tube: min. 500.000 flashs (consumable) @ max. duration of flash of 30 ms and repetation rate of 6 s.
- spectral properties of flash tube: AM1.5G class A / IEC60904-9 Ed. 2 (for solar simulators using dedicated spectral filter)