Doctoral researchers that have recently started their doctorate @HZB are personally welcomed by the HZB Graduate Center.
During these online "welcome talks" we will explain the most important information for your time @HZB. This includes for example the HZB doctoral guidelines with the mandatory progress reporting procedure, and the qualification offers or events available to doctoral researchers. New doctoral researchers are invited by the Graduate Center, but any doctoral researcher @HZB can join!
Upcoming welcome talks:
- 29th of September 2022 - 10:00 am
- 25th of October 2022 - 10:00 am
- 23rd of November 2022 - 10 am
- 15th of December 2022 - 10 am
- 26th of January 2023 - 10 am
- 23rd of February 2023 - 10 am
Please register by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, you will then receive a link for the online meeting.
New doctoral researchers need to register themselves for the mailing list. It is used to announce events, trainings and other news to doctoral researchers @HZB.
Registration for the mailing list
- Send an e-mail from the adress you want to subscribe to email@example.com
- Subject of the mail "subscribe hzb-doclist Firstname Name" (replace with your names)
- Leave the message blank
The mailing list (firstname.lastname@example.org) is used by the HZB Graduate Center and the DocTeam to spread information of all kind. This includes an alert as soon as registration opens for any in-house qualification offers organized by the Graduate Center, but also announcements on conferences or summer schools relevant to doctoral researchers. And finally, the mailing list is used by the DocTeam (HZB representatives of the doctoral researchers) to send reminders about regular events such as the Young Researchers Seminar and the Stammtisch.
If you are new to Germany, Berlin or HZB, you will find some useful places below with a lot of information to help you have the best start here!
The HZB onboarding page contains information for new employees. You receive the login information from your HR manager as soon as you have signed your contract with HZB. It encompasses topics such as: finding a place to live, childcare, opening a bank account, public transport, or registering with the authorities. It also has short descriptions on a lot of the offers and benefits @HZB.
The representatives of the doctoral researchers have prepared a "Welcome booklet" for those starting their doctorate @HZB. It contains very helpful information and practical tips on how to settle in easily. For any questions or comments, please contact the DocTeam (HZB representatives of the doctoral researchers).
The buddy program connects new doctoral researchers with more experienced ones. The primary goal is to provide new HZB doctoral researchers orientation at the center, knowledge regarding HZB-specific processes and to facilitate networking at the center at an early stage.
Do you want to have a buddy, because you…
- …are new to HZB and are not yet familiar with the infrastructure of the campus?
- …wonder whether you know about all seminars, networks, etc. that could be interesting for you?
- …want to get in touch with fellow HZB doctoral researchers outside of your working group?
New doctoral researchers can contact the Graduate Center with the request to get a buddy. We will help you to find a good match!
Do you want to become someone's buddy, because you…
- …like helping others by e.g. saving them from unnecessary struggles with any sort of procedures or getting lost on campus!
- …enjoy connecting with people and making new interesting contacts and networks!
- …have gained useful insight about HZB or science in general and are happy to share this!
Any experienced doctoral researcher can become a buddy!
If you are interested, please contact the Graduate Center. And if you are part of one of the research schools, your engagement can count within the school’s credit point system.
Navigation - Doctoral researchers at HZB
- Welcome @HZB
- HZB Doctoral Guidelines
- Doctoral researchers portal
- Doctoral researchers @HZB - short profiles
- Scientific Board of the HZB Graduate Center
- Scientific trainings and seminars
- News, awards and events
- Further information and support
- HZB Research Schools
- Helmholtz International Research Schools
- Representation of doctoral researchers