News, awards and events
We highly recommend to participate in the many scientific events that are happening at HZB and in Berlin. Some of these events are listed below, as well as a link the the HZB calender.
At HZB we value excellence and want to support our Doctoral Researchers getting the recognition they deserve for their great scientific achievements!
Below you can find a link with several prizes awarded for a doctoral dissertation. This is by no means a complete list of all prizes for Doctoral Researchers and only focusses on dissertation prizes. We have indicated some of the requirements for each and you can find the links for more information at the bottom of this section. Please be aware that information here could be outdated, so always check for any specific information there!
- Deutscher Studienpreis : magna or summa cum laude dissertation, requires an essay of the scientific discoveries in German. Deadline is the 1st of March each year for dissertations defended the previous calendar year.
- Dissertationspreis Adlershof : magna or summa cum laude dissertation completed in Adlershof, requires the final three candidates to present their work. Deadline is the 1st of November each year for dissertations completed the previous 18 months.
- Helmholtz Doctoral award : nominations are made by the executive board of the Helmholtz center.
- Tiburtius Prize : summa cum laude dissertations, nominations are made by a Berlin based professor. Deadline is the 15th of May each year for dissertations completed the previous year.
- Ernst Reuter Prize : summa cum laude dissertation at the Freie Universität Berlin, nominations are made by the department. Deadline is the 6th of May each year.
- Humboldt Prize : summa cum laude dissertation at the Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, nominations are made by the department. Deadline is the 1st of July each year for dissertations completed the previous year.
- Liebniz-Kolleg Potsdam Prize : dissertations at the Universität Potsdam with publications. Deadline is the 4th of February for dissertations completed the previous two years.
- Marthe Vogt Prize : summa cum laude dissertation from a female scientist with publications, nominations are made by Berlin based members of faculty.
- Carl Ramsauer Prize : summa cum laude dissertation in physics, nominations are made by a professor.
- KlarText Kommunikationspreis : magna or summa cum laude dissertation, requires an essay of the scientific discoveries in German. Deadline is the 28th of February for dissertations completed the previous two years.
13.05.2020; 9:55 am
Possible contract extensions for qualification projects in case of corona-related delays
HZB employees with fixed-term contracts with the purpose to qualify (doctoral and postdoctoral researchers) do not have to worry: Corona-related delays in their work may be considered with regard to possible contract extensions.
The HZB board of directors has decided that employees, who have not been able to carry out their qualification work as planned due to the restrictions in force since mid-March may ask for a contract extension of up to 6 months.
In order to request an extension, those affected would have to provide a detailed explanation of how the Corona-related restrictions have affected their work. The request must then be made through their superior good time before expiry of the current employment contract.
Your responsible HR referee will gladly answer any question relating to the extension of your employment.
For questions regarding the extension and financing of externally funded projects, please contact the group Third Party Funding Management of our finance department.
The HZB-internal regulations for fast track doctoral candidates as well as the five-year regulation for postdocs remain unaffected by these "corona" extensions.
This exception is only possible due to a corresponding amendment of the Wissenschaftszeitvertragsgesetz (WissZeitVG - Act on Temporary Scientific Contracts) issued by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (see update from 20.04.2020).
Up to date information with the current regulations is published on the website of the Corona Crisis Management Team.
The statement concerning extensions of the doctorate with up to 6 months, is posted below. It can be found in the archive of the Corona Crisis Management team.
Dissertation prizes and awards
Navigation main sections
- Welcome @HZB
- HZB Doctoral Guidelines
- Doctoral researchers portal
- Doctoral researchers @HZB - short profiles
- Scientific Board of the HZB Graduate Center
- Scientific trainings and seminars
- News, awards and events
- Further information and support
- HZB Research Schools
- Helmholtz International Research Schools
- Representation of doctoral researchers